I love cooking & baking, my mom, who also loves to labor in the kitchen, gave me a novelty cookbook for New Year’s, The Show Boat Cookbook (Southern Cooking from the Banks of the Mississippi) by June Jackson. It is wonderful! It is not the most healthy of course, but it’s good to have balance in your life with food, as with everything else. You can always substitute different flours like almond flour instead of the gluten.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cooking oil (use extra virgin olive oil for nutrition)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup orange juice (or milk you’d like)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups sweet potatoes peeled, cooked & mashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Sift all dry ingredients except sugar and spices and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together sugar, cooking oil, butter, eggs, and spices. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Add orange juice (or milk) and vanilla. Fold in sweet potatoes and pecans. Pour into muffin cup-lined muffin tins (should make 2 dozen). Bake at 325’F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Serve hot & with Cream Cheese frosting on top if you’d like!
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream (fat-free can be used)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Combine the three ingredients and refrigerate before using.